Fares Allowance – don’t miss this one!

Fares Allowance – don’t miss this one!

Remember that time Centrelink paid for you to travel home for the holidays?

Or to that compulsory res school in Wagga Wagga?

No? Well sit tight, dear reader, have I got a treat for you!

If you are receiving Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY, you may may be eligible to apply for Fares Allowance.

If you are living away from home to study on campus, you may be able to claim the cost of travel to and from university at the beginning and end of the academic year, plus a return trip home during the year.

And if you’re studying online, you can claim for one trip to the uni to attend a compulsory residential school.

The allowance is paid at the rate of the “least expensive reasonable publicly available transport” but may still be paid for private travel (for example, you drove your car).

Generally, you would make a claim for reimbursement when the travel has been completed but you can also request that the travel be pre-booked and paid for directly.

NEWSFLASH: until 31st March 2016, you can claim for trips you made last year, but you will need to provide proof.

Claims can be made online via your Centrelink account or using this form.

Find out more at the Human Services website.

Confused? Got questions? Contact finance.slo@csu.edu.au to chat about your individual circumstances, or visit the Looking After Your Bottom Line blog.