Why you should intern

Why you should intern

Student intern

by Angus Morrissey

By completing a university degree, students are provided with an ideal education in their chosen career which provides the perfect platform for future employment. From paramedicine and teaching to psychology and many other courses, CSU offers a wide range of qualifications that suit a number of industries. Will a degree on its own guarantee you an immediate job in your chosen profession? You could increase your chances of securing a graduate job in your industry by undertaking an internship by maximising your hands-on learning.

I am a first-year journalism student at CSU who is extremely passionate about the field I am studying, and am eager to gain a respectable job in the communications industry. In my course I have learnt a wealth of knowledge and acquired a number of different skills. I did not want to limit my education and so I have recently commenced an internship at an events website.

Looking back, it was a wonderful decision. The company allowed me to put my skills into practice by assigning me a number of relevant tasks. Rest assured, if you partake in a similar opportunity, you’ll undergo substantial personal growth. Building up work experience is invaluable for your confidence.. From personal experience, I can undoubtedly say that my self-confidence has been uplifted.

Interning is an effective pathway to employment. If you can showcase your talent and work ethic to employers while you are involved in the day-to-day operations of their company, you might even secure a permanent job. An internship can give you the opportunity to impress potential employers and show them you’re skills and abilities. If you aren’t successful in obtaining a job instantly after uni, don’t stress! The experience in itself will be helpful for your resume, it will demonstrate your willingness to learn to future employers.

Whether you’re in first or second year, an internship can fast-track your learning and acquisition of practical skills for the workplace. So, don’t wait! Soak up as much knowledge and advice from professionals as you can from the get-go. Be humble and listen – you can’t do it all yourself.

If you’re a student looking for an internship, go on to the jobs and careers page on CSU’s student site. You’ll find tips job applications, job on interviews and degree-specific employment roles… you can also create a career action plan too!

So what are you waiting for? The world is your oyster!