Nursing students get inspiration from networking and travel

Nursing students Jacinta Brunskill and Kristy McManus
Nursing students Jacinta Brunskill and Kristy McManus at the National Nursing Forum in Melbourne

Meeting with nurses from across the country, and from all different fields of health care was an inspiration for two nursing students from CSU.

Jacinta Brunskill and Kristy McManus both study the Bachelor of Nursing and both received a $2000 scholarship from NSW Health that was put towards attending the Australian College of Nursing, National Nursing Forum in Melbourne.

The two nursing students are quite the role models. Kristy is from Lithgow and cares for vulnerable members of the community working for the Justice and Forensic Mental Health Network. Jacinta studies online whilst working in community nursing and acute care in Tocumwal in Southern NSW.

Jacinta and Kristy told us a little about their experiences at CSU and their recent trip to Melbourne.

Jacinta commented, “I was very fortunate to have this opportunity to develop my leadership skills and network with some amazing and inspirational nurses.

“I am confident I’ve got a lot out of the experience that I’ll share with my colleagues and peers. It’s given me new inspiration and motivation for advancing my nursing career.”

Kristy said, “The forum was absolutely fantastic and I am extremely grateful to NSW Health and Charles Sturt University for giving me the opportunity to attend. I had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful nurses and nurse leaders.”

“I gained a lot from attending this event, both professionally and personally. Some of the topics discussed include nursing care, self-care and leadership, developing these skills will benefit me greatly throughout my nursing career.

Kristy also arrived home safe and sound after a visit to India for her practical placement earlier this year. She said that studying overseas is one of the main highlights of her experience at CSU.

“My international work placement is an experience I will never forget,” Kristy said.

“The thing I enjoyed most was experiencing the health care system of another country. It made me aware of how lucky we are in Australia.”

The program ran over two weeks where students could visit hospitals and schools in rural India. They learnt about nursing care for of all ages and backgrounds, as well as child and maternal health care.

“We stayed in a rural village, Malavali and travel by train each day to Lonavala where we visited several local hospitals, a paediatrician and a HIV/AIDS centre.”

Head to CSU Global to check out the overseas study experiences you’re eligible for.

You can also hear about Kristy’s experience in India: