Rachel loses her locks for leukaemia

Rachel loses her locks for leukaemia

Worlds Greatest Shave participant Rachel Hindi
Worlds Greatest Shave participant Rachel Hindi. Image: CSU Media

Meeting cancer patients during her work placement inspired Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science student, Rachel Hindi, to shave her head to raise money to help people with the disease.

Rachel is taking part in the Leukaemia Foundation’s World’s Greatest Shave fundraising campaign and will lose her locks on Friday 17 March. We had the chance to catch up with Rachel to see how she was feeling pre-shave.

Why did you choose to study Medical Radiation Science at CSU?

I began with the intention of studying diagnostic radiography, but really enjoyed radiation therapy because of all the patient contact and the thought that goes into every individual patient’s treatment plan and process.

What about your work placement inspired you to take part in the World’s Greatest Shave?

I’m specialising in radiation therapy and spent work placement at a cancer therapy centre at Liverpool Hospital.

It was very humbling to spend time with the patients I was treating and to gain a better understanding of the challenges they face and the impact that cancer has on them and their families.

I found the people who I met, both patients and staff, to be such inspirational, kind, and incredibly resilient people so I wanted to do something to help the patients.

Other staff on my work placement were involved in fundraising and I decided that I wanted to do something to help.

The money raised through The World’s Greatest Shave gives families facing blood cancer emotional and practical support, as well as funding research.

Are you nervous about getting your head shaved?

I’m actually really excited, rather than scared.

What’s your fundraising goal?

My initial goal was $1 000, which, overwhelmingly, I raised within 24 hours of signing up. My next goal was $5 000, which I recently reached as well, so now I don’t have a set goal, but am just trying to raise as much as possible.

What’s going to happen to your hair?

I am going to donate my hair to be made into wigs for cancer patients.

Beanie or sun hat, what will you need most?

I’m a huge fan of beanies, however sun hats cover more of your face and neck, which is important when you consider the damaging effect of UV rays, so probably a mixture of both.

This is one practical way you’re making a difference, but looking ahead what sort of difference to you want to make to people in your career?

I would absolutely love for my career to one day be obsolete, and the best way for that to happen is researching cancer.

In my job as a radiation therapist I will strive to provide the best patient care, treatment planning, and options that I possibly can.