Students win prestigious rural scholarships

CSU animal science student Rachel Gawne.

Animal science student Rachel Gawne is the joint recipient of a major sheep industry scholarship – congratulations Rachel! The 2017 Peter Westblade Scholarship promotes the practical skills associated with the sheep and wool industry.

Rachel wants to empower producers to make decisions to benefit flocks and increase returns. Now entering its 6th year, the scholarship provides opportunities and support worth up to $10 000 over 12 months.

“I am not off a farm but I’ve always had a love for agriculture and when I discovered the sheep industry I knew that was for me,” Rachel said.

There are numerous CSU students across a number of courses including agribusiness, agricultural science and veterinary science that have been awarded prestigious scholarships in recognition of their outstanding leadership qualities and commitment to local communities.

Agricultural business management students Aimee Bolton, from Wagga Wagga, and Emily Sinderberry, from Condobolin, have secured two of the five 2017 Angus Australia Foundation Study Scholarships to support their studies in the beef industry.

Running her own Red Angus herd, Aimee wants to work in the meat science industry within Australia as well as globally.

“I believe that the beef industry has very much influenced the person I am today, through the lifelong friendships and contacts I’ve made and the travel opportunities it provides through junior shows, such as the Angus Youth National Round Up,” Aimee said.

Emily began studying a Bachelor of Agricultural Business Management through CSU online in 2016.

“I’ve just started full-time studies through CSU online and I am looking forward to contributing to the Australian beef industry at the end of my degree.”

Of the nine Rural Bank Scholarships awarded in 2017, four went to CSU students. Rural Bank Scholarships are valued at $5 000 and aim to help each student to contribute to the Australian agricultural sector.

The winning CSU students are:

• Alice Mitchell, Bachelor of Veterinary Science.
  • Arkie Pickering, Bachelor of Veterinary Science.
  • Brendan Gray, Bachelor of Agricultural Science.
  • Josephine Coleman, Bachelor of Agricultural Science.