A day in the life of a Medical Radiation Science student

Medical Radiation Science student.
Medical Radiation Science student.

My name is Georgia Taylor and I’m studying a Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science at Charles Sturt University in Wagga. If I’m not studying, then you’ll find me training for triathlons either in the pool or on a trail road around town. Here’s a typical day in my life at uni.

8am: My first class was at 8am, and although it’s not winter yet it was still a very chilly walk over the hill from where I live on campus in Wagga Wagga. This lecture was on the subject Computed Tomography and our lecturer is actually located in Port Macquarie so we had a video conference lecture instead.

Once the video link was established we got underway with our lecture, learning about CT scans of the thorax. The thorax is the area between the neck and the abdomen, including the lungs, ribs and the heart among the other structures.

Everyone has just arrived back to uni after four weeks of placement so most of us have had a bit of exposure to CT and we understand what’s going on.

10am: Class finally finishes so I drive to a local reserve with trail roads so I can go for a run. On top of my uni studies I also compete in triathlons, and while this is hard to balance at times, I love it because training gives me a good study break. My run takes me to the top of a hill that looks out over Wagga.

1pm: After spending some time working on my assignments and grabbing a bite to eat, I head over the hill once again to my last class of the day, a two-hour lecture on Image Interpretation. Again, our lecturer is in Port Macquarie so we are connected via video link. This time we’re looking at the foot and ankle, and a number of different images to identify what is wrong with them. We’re shown a number of different injuries and how these are represented on x-ray images.

3pm: Once class is over I hang about to talk to other students about our assignments and see where everyone else is up to. We’re all under the pump at the moment trying to get our assignments done on top of our normal study load.

4pm: I arrive back in my room, which means more assignment work and trying not to get distracted by the beautiful day outside.

I get my things ready for another training session, I’m going swimming at the local pool. I also try to get as much done of my CT assignment as possible before dinner.

7pm: Tonight’s dinner was in the dining hall on campus. I had beef lasagne and lamb korma – perfect after a cold day and training in the pool.

10pm: After a long day of uni work, it’s time for bed. During this time in the session a day in the life of a MRS student is mainly just studying and assignments. However, less contact hours make up for them as we have a lot of free time to get them done. That’s if you can stay away from distractions and not procrastinate.