You’re starting uni and there’s lots to learn – including a new language! Here are some of the new words you’ll hear around campus, and what they all mean:
- Fresher – you’ll probably notice everyone calling you a ‘fresher’ during O-Week and early on in the year. It simply means you’re a first-year undergraduate
- Returner – these are the senior (returning) students
- Residence – the area you live in is your ‘residence’ and within your residence is your dorm.
E.g. Traditional Diggings at Bathurst Campus
- Dorm – the building that you live in becomes your ‘dorm’ and the people you live with there are your ‘dormies.’ On some campuses, this might be referred to as your block and your new housemates will be known as your blockies.
E.g. ABC dorm in Traditional Diggings at Bathurst Campus
- Res Life – the staff team you can contact for residence matters. Whether at the Res Life Office on each campus or online, contact the staff about logistics, finance, maintenance, etc.
- Residential Advisors (RAs) – the people you go to if you have a problem of any type, from studies to cooking food to personal issues. There is one RA for each dorm and they’re your best first point of contact with any questions or concerns.
- Family dinners – when your dorm or residence has a combined dinner, because they are your family on campus! A fun, easy way to connect with everyone you live with.
- Dorm meetings – your RAs organise meetings regularly to report important news, share event updates and hear your concerns or requests to take back to Res Life. This way you won’t miss anything happening around campus!
- Social sports – throughout the year there are sport competitions between all dorms across campus. Whether you want to play or cheer along, it’s an exciting way to unite as a dorm
- SRC or Social Committee – there is Student Representative Committees on each campus to hear your needs and concerns, and organise events that are important to you. And on each residence is a Social Committees who organise social events and some of the biggest parties of the year!