Your Career Path after Graduation

Your Career Path after Graduation

graduation

Are you graduating soon and trying to decide what happens next? Here’s how to reflect on your skills and find your career path:

Am I on the right career path?

Your career should be something that you enjoy. It is something that interests you and something that makes you work hard to get there. If you don’t feel invested in your career path, then maybe it simply isn’t the one for you and you will find that new path in the future.

What is a career plan?

A career plan is simple, it is just like a map of where you want to go. There are four steps in a career plan that will help you to get to the career you’ve wanted for so long.

1. Know yourself. Before you can go anywhere, understanding yourself and knowing what you want is key. Answer questions like… Who am I? Where am I at the moment? What are my strengths? What do I want out of a career?
  2. Research. Find out more about the career. Learn and understand what’s involved, the different companies in your industry, what skills are required and whether it matches your goals and aspirations.
  3. Make decisions. What are the options available to you? What do they offer you and what does it offer back? How do they match with my skills, interests and values? Choose what is best for you and follow that.
  4. Take action. This is where you plan the steps you will take to follow your career path. What do I need to do to achieve my goals? Who can support and help me?

How do I get there?

There is so much you can do to get to your career, from extracurricular activities at Uni to learning in the classroom. The best thing you can do is workplace learning and work experience. Keep a look out for internship opportunities, short courses in your field or graduate positions to enter your industry on a strong foot.

Employers will be looking at the experience you have, so extra opportunities can help you stand out of the crowd. To get started, check out CSU’s leadership program, STRIVE. It will help you develop leadership skills and be a great addition to your resume!

Also, assess your skills, values, attributes and what you can work on for your career. They are constantly changing, and always have room for improvement.

To find out more about your future career development, check out CSU Career Development Service. They can answer any career questions you have and help plan what you want for the future.