Top 6 organisation hacks

Top 6 organisation hacks

The beginning of the university session is often a stressful time, filled with mixed emotions. Whether you are starting out at university, returning after a gap year/s, or simply coming back after the holidays to continue studying, it is essential that you are organised and dedicated.

Here are my top hacks that will hopefully help you feel a little more organised:

#1. Order your CSU Card

Ensure that you have ordered your CSU student card, which is what you will use for building access, university events, identification in exams, access to meal points, flexi points and personal funds. You will also find your student ID on this card, so you don’t have to worry about forgetting those numbers!

#2. Create a timetable

Create a timetable which includes all of your lectures, tutorials and practicals; plus work, family, social and sporting commitments. Hang it somewhere that is easy to find. Remember to include study and assignment time for each subject.

#3. Read subject outlines

Carefully read through your subject outlines, which will be available two weeks prior to the start of session. Take note of important information such as assessment dates and requirements, prescribed texts, compulsory events etc. I find it very handy to print a copy of my subject outlines so I can refer back to them when needed.

I also colour code my subjects to make it easy to find work and know exactly which classes I have. I use different coloured folders for each subject and then use the associated colour to highlight the relevant subjects on my timetable and the assessment due dates in my diary.

#4. Purchase prescribed texts

Purchase all prescribed texts, as listed in the subject outline and remember that you can buy some books second hand!

#5. List Assessment Dates

Note all of the due dates for your assessments and exams in your diary or calendar. I like to make a list of all assessments, which I can then mark off as I complete them. This gives your ego a little boost as you cross them off!

#6. Organise back-up!

Ensure you have a USB, hard drive or online storage centre to back up any work completed, you don’t want to lose anything because your computer crashed or deleted it!

Once you’re organised, hopefully your nerves will settle and you will be able to enjoy your last few days of holiday before the session begins. Good luck!